About Me

My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States
Making the foray into blogging because at forty-something, and mother of three, I have turned my back on my film career and am pursuing my education. This September I start at UCLA as a Junior, majoring in English.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Procrastination - An Art Form

I have hopelessly neglected this blog and only now add this post because I am finding anything to do other than start my history paper. I am taking a history class this quarter because it is a requirement. Frankly, it is bloody boring. I am also taking three other classes as well - two of them English classes requiring countless hours of reading and lots of paper-writing. Long story short, I am applying for English department honors and must do a literary criticism class this quarter that I wasn't planning on doing. Four classes in the quarter system is a lot!
I have had drama as well. Offspring number one decided not to turn in final papers at his Ivy-League school for the second semester in a row, and this time they had no sense of humor about it - he was dropped from the rolls. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued (mostly mine) and he was dispatched to get grades changed and be re-admitted or clean out his room and face the prospect of being home for a year (the length of time he would be required to take off before being allowed back in). It took all of my restraint not to board a plane and fight on his behalf to be re-admitted but I took a back seat, figuring if he wants it badly enough, he'd better do it. Jammy bugger dressed in his finest suit, and armed with professor testimonials was able to get grades changed and be re-admitted - he ended up being complimented on his attire and vocabulary by the very tight-lipped administrator who I had spoken to on the phone - I was convinced he was done - this guy was not in any mood for slackers! Anyhow, he is back and hopefully will steer a true course. But I am not holding my breath. I over-mothered him, I think. Hopefully he can recover from that affliction!
Sleep has eluded me for 2 weeks now, and I have felt in the pit of a depression. Yesterday was the first day I felt the sunshine in all the rain. Life seems worth living again, but it was tough to get through the days for a while there. The lovely Miss W provided a lifeline to pull me out of the mire, and instinctively said all the right things, for which I am profoundly grateful. Pathetic though I am when I reflect upon the great troubles in the world - and particularly right now on the plight of those poor Haitians. We are organizing a collection at the Winter Concerts at Buckley this weekend. I am making up signs and planning to dispatch performers (Broadway style) in the foyer with buckets to collect donations for the Red Cross.
I love the rain. I love the dark, foreboding clouds and the cold weather. I love wearing raincoats and boots, and snuggling up under the duvet during the cold nights and listening to the pounding rain on the rooftops. They canceled school for the kids tomorrow, so I have two deliriously happy teenagers tonight. American Idol is calling. I will start the paper in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. I loved our bowl of noodles.
    Spring is coming. All will be well.
    Love, Miss W x

    ReplyDelete