I cannot believe it has taken me this long to have a minute to myself to write on this 'ere blog of mine. This quarter has raced by - with mid-terms barely returned to our anxious waiting hands, it is time for finals! I will finish the quarter on December 10th - the day of my last final - and breathe a sigh of relief. Today I present my poetry portfolio in the seminar class - I have been living with Sylvia Plath for some time now, and particularly with "Daddy" - not the most uplifting of works. However, to counteract that, we are studying the Romantics in one of my English classes - the joys of Shelley, Keats and Byron - and pondering on the triumph of imagination over reason in contrast to the Neo-classicists we covered earlier. For my other class, we just read "Praisesong for the Widow" by Paule Marshall - a wonderful story, and also I rediscovered (and wrote my midterm paper on "The Color Purple").
In between, the annual Buckley musical devoured all of my 'spare' time - it was an astonishing success. "Sweet Charity" played to almost total rave reviews! I was immensely proud of the all of the kids in the show, and behind the scenes. The faculty are just the most wonderful people, who have become my friends - and we celebrated after closing night with Lebanese food and lots of wine (and tequila!). My theater producing days behind me for a little while, I have been busily writing papers - no time for writing here. I have dismally neglected my book club (both of them) and not read the last 3 books - of which I am heartily ashamed! Sorry girls, will try to do better....
I love UCLA - and enjoy being on campus and in the classroom. I have been inspired by my professors and the TA's. It is fascinating to see how students 'operate' and game the system - and I have great respect for some of the hard-working ones, and contempt for some of the others!
Anyhow, this is less than inspiring, but I felt I should try and update - oh and in case you are interested - my midterms and papers thus far have yielded A's. Onward and upwards and will try to write something more entertaining and amusing soon!
HHD 5786
10 months ago
Just came across yr blog: I'm so impressed you went back to college. Only wish I had a quarter of yr guts. LLGxx
ReplyDeleteThank you LLG!
ReplyDelete